Sunday, June 2, 2013

Missing the train or making it?

Serendipity.  Serendipity is my favorite word in the English language.  Yes I know it's a shock, some of you would think it's namaste (which runs a close second), but nope - serendipity.  Serendipity means a "happy accident" or "pleasant surprise"; specifically, the accident of finding something good or useful while not specifically searching for it.  I think the meaning more than anything else that draws me to the word... finding something good or useful while not specifically searching for it.... The only part that I really have a problem with it the word "accident".  See, I don't really believe in accidents. Okay, maybe a small part of me believes in the actual "car" kind, but then again, not really; because if you were paying attention, perhaps it wouldn't happen... but I digress. 

See, my lack of believing in accidents has been around probably as long as my failure to believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus - I was a very wise kid :) The philosophy of accidents from Coree coming in 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1... there are none!  I think that everything has a space and place in time; and every now and then when we slow down and let life happen organically, we actually allow ourselves to either maintain the right path or get on it.  Once we are there the possibilities are endless. I think the word that should replace "accident" should be "sagacity".  Sagacity means foresight, discernment, or keen perception; ability to make good judgments; sound in judgment. So instead of serendipity meaning a "happy accident" it should mean "happy discernment"; because it takes sound judgment and a discerning nature to be able to slow down and let life happen - not an accident of life.  So why am I bring all of this up?  What does this have to do with "the 39th year"?  Indeed, all good questions... that will be answered shortly. 

I was able to catch the end of  Sliding Doors, one of my favorite movies today.  If you haven't seen it, you must... but you may want to skip down to the next paragraph because I'm about to give a spoiler :)  The gest of the movie is about woman who is rushing to make a train.  That's when the movie takes a fantastic transition and splits into two different movies.  One part, if she makes the train; the other part, if she misses it. How would her life differ based on making the train or missing it.  It reminded me of my favorite word and it got me thinking... the way the movie ended, reinforced my feeling about accidents.  Indeed the making or missing of the train could seem like an accident; however, the way the movie ended was very serendipitous.  This made me think again, if we just slow down and realize that we can find something good or useful while not specifically searching for it; it will always some how find us and we will and can be pleasantly surprised :)

Now, back to your questions... why am I bring all of this up?  What does this have to do with "the 39th year"?  It's simple.  When I was creating a list of things that I wanted to accomplish this year, "finding" the love of my life was one of them.  After watching the end of that movie and reflecting on my favorite word, it made me realize that "finding" the love of my life wasn't going to be something I would accomplish this year UNLESS I truly slowed down and realize that I can find something good or useful while not specifically searching for it; and it will always some how find me... and then I will be pleasantly surprised! But don't get it twisted, I still have to utilize some sagacity and be able to figure out if I'm missing the train or making it... 




No comments:

Post a Comment